Australia- you so hot right now!
After a cruisy beginning to the startup conference, Sydney, Sydstart morning, Pollenizer unleashed a firecracker in Mick Liubinkas. Funny, energised and just that smidge of rye that grabs attention, his presentation was the double barrel Espresso needed to get the presenter specific portion of SydStart humming.
Here’s what I took from what Mick had to say:
- Focus- none of the B2B and B2C “let’s stick a leg over both sides of the fence and hope it works” stuff. Pick a vertical, pick a niche and make that effort count.
- Team is Critical- be tough on finding the right people because the work is hard, hours are long and the situation important enough to know you’ve got the right people in your corner.
- Startups are hard work- but they are hard work that is worth it. Don’t go into it thinking its summer camp, leisure time, some glorious experiment in cutting your own hours or rolling around aimlessly.
- Launch- you haven’t got a startup until you start it up and it isn’t started until it’s started.
- Learn by Doing- what you learn after launch is far better than cooking up a perfect product. Get out there and put your bum in the wind.
- People will try your stuff- ask them to do it, listen to the feedback and look for more and do the same.
- Australia factor- Australia is a great place for testing out what you want to do- so make use of it. There are advantages (not as cut throat as Silicon Valley, local knowledge, funding is around, people will try your product) so use them to your benefit.
- Incubators Aplenty- Incubators are popping up like little mushrooms all over the shop for a variety of startups. Find ‘em, know ‘em, use ‘em.
- Oz Gov – has low expectations. Use that to your benefit with funding and grants.
- Gambling- Australians love it. So use your idea to set up a tasty chance at a win and watch the excitement grow.
Pollenizer has a personal mandate of having 100 successful companies to their credit by 2030. Might be worth ringing the door bell if you think you have something shiny and roulette worthy. I wonder how he feels about mouthy creative Sydney copywriters? Surely there is an idea in that?
Want your brain to make the sizzling sound that only firing synapses can bring? Get more of that now by signing up for my monthly newsletter now.